Friday, July 16, 2010

Road Trip #2

On the road out of Big Elk Creek.


Victor, Idaho

The view by Driggs.


Palisades Reservoir



The famous SQUARE ICE CREAM!




Yesterday we went on our second short road trip (our alternative to a vacation). We did the Teton Scenic Byway - a drive that takes you from IF to Swan Valley, Palisades Reservoir, Victor, Driggs, a slew of little hamlets, Rexburg, and back home. We revisited Big Elk Creek campground - the site of a rather infamous camping trip from a September in the early 90s. The place certainly has changed! It's been upgraded to a lovely little wilderness parking lot. I preferred it when it was rough around the edges and nature felt closer.

It was fun to tell Bailee the story. We went out in the middle of September, eager to get in one more camping trip. It poured rain, snowed, Diana's old dog Amy snuck out of the tent in the middle of the night and got lost. My dog Saber found her - but she was a mess! Burrs, mud, etc. I'm sure the story of her night in the woods would make quite a tale. It's a pity she couldn't talk!

I proved to the world that I CAN make a fire in the middle of a pouring rainstorm though. Quite an accomplishment to have under one's belt if I do say so myself. I'm sure the whole trip sounds like a disaster, but we had a great time. Crazy, eh? When the time came to go home, I ended up chasing Saber around and around the van. He did NOT want to leave to go home. Can't say I blamed him. The autumn mountains were beautiful and peaceful.

We had to stop at the Rainey Creek Store for square ice cream for Bailee. It's a must have on these trips to Swan Valley. Messy, but fun. We saw one bald eagle on our drive, but saw lots of young osprey. I got some cute photos that I will have to add later (new camera and I still have to figure out how to download).

We also had to stop in Rigby for a Bambino - a local treat (sort of a tiny pizza calzone). Bailee loves them. She also loves their fries, which she thinks are the best ANYWHERE. I must say, they are good. Crispy, fluffy inside, just basically perfect. Visit their website at www.pickettsbambino.com

We saw some beautiful homes on the drive. Some people are obviously doing all right in this stinking economy. (It sure isn't us.) I did see one home that gave me pause. It was located in the middle of a huge farm - a beautiful three story house with huge porches and decks. The odd thing? The big windows and porches were all on the west side of the house - looking out on the desert, while the rear of the house faced ... the Tetons. Okay, whose contractor was drunk? What a horrible waste! The view they could have had was the one on our banner. How crazy is that?

No comments:

Post a Comment