Monday, August 30, 2010

Growing Up

Today Miss Bailee started 6th grade - her last day of elementary school. She was excited and nervous ... more so than any other year. She also took MUCH longer to decide what to wear, how to do her hair, etc. She even put on lip gloss. Decked out in skinny jeans, a camisole, and a rib tickling sweater she did NOT look like a little girl. She's a young woman now.

This is the first time that I was able to fully participate in the first day of school. Usually I'm the first one back at work. It was fun, and gave me one more reason to envy all those stay-at-home moms. Hard not to resent the fact that I've had to work through all of Bailee's growing up years. I figure that by the time she's in high school I'll be able to retire (if the economy recovers); just in time to cramp her style. ha ha

Our shortened school year feels strange to everyone, as it has thrown off our ingrained schedule for going back to school. Mom is frustrated by the weather change and the fact our days are noticeably shorter. The two week delay makes a big difference! Everything feels different this year. Not that it is a bad thing - I loved the long summer; though I wish it hadn't been so hot. I've watched the Port Townsend, Washington temps at friend Marsha's house with great envy!

Tomorrow is my zero to sixty day. First day back at school - a work day AND Back to School Night. It's bound to be crazy, because you always learn many new things that have to be dealt with during that first Faculty Meeting. The fact that we have a new principal this year will make that doubly interesting.

So, I'm wondering what Bailee and Diana are up to. I hope things are going smoothly for Diana (though that seems an oxymoron when applied to the first day of kindergarten). I hope that sixth grade is NOT as scary or hard as Bailee feared and that she comes home excited (she loves school, so I think that's pretty likely).

Beginnings are fun ... and scary ... and wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment