Saturday, February 13, 2010

From 60 to -60 in Eight Hours

Last night I came home from school feeling great. Our day was fast and fun, and we even survived our party in good order (meaning that I did not want to kill the children AND our room was clean when I went home). Bailee had Paige over for our becoming traditional Friday night play and dinner date (where female silliness reigns supreme), I was in a fabulous mood, I received a very sweet Valentine's Day card from lifelong friend, Garrett (honestly, you are the sweetest guy ever), a fabulous three day weekend lay ahead, and all was right with the world.

Then this morning dawned. It dawn at 5:30 a.m., heralded in by a sinus headache and earache. Ick. It is now 9:00, and I still feel under the weather. Unfair! I have too much to do this weekend and I feel that I am entitled to have some fun. This was definitely NOT in my plans. Hopefully, I will feel better as the day goes on. I have shopping to do, a house to clean, and a movie to see this afternoon. I'm putting my faith in Advil and Mucinex - may they live up to their advertising!

We are experiencing another gray winter day. Those of us living in Idaho don't need a ground hog to predict our future. We KNOW that spring will arrive no earlier than April (and sometimes late April at that). So, we hunker down, pull up our collars, pull down our hats, and soldier on through the cold, wind, and snow. Those of us who live on the edge ski, snowshoe, and make snow something to play in. Today I just see that it is something I have to shovel.

I feel so sad that the 2010 Winter Olympics have already been marred by tragedy. I was thinking how terrible it was that the weather wasn't cooperating, but the death of the Georgian Olympian on a luge practice run made that seem trivial. How tragic for that boy, his team, his family, and his country. My thoughts and prayers go out to them!

No comments:

Post a Comment