Thursday, January 21, 2010

Failure to Post


Don't you just hate it when people have this website which you are following, and they don't post? Days go by. Weeks go by. Months go by. Are they still alive? You wonder sometimes. So, in an effort to make sure that you know we are all alive and kicking, HERE I AM! Posting, by gum!

School is plugging along. We're in the hot and heavy part of the curriculum, so we're working very hard. We are also starting to plan for our state tests. I took my kids through a grueling session of preparation today. Painful, but productive. I think that many of them had an "A-HA!" moment when it came to HOW test questions are worded. Any progress in understanding and test savvy is bound to help.

I adore, adore, adore my advanced class that I have every day from 11:30 to 12. They are heaven on earth to teach. We have such a good time. Today we learned Greek base words. It was so cool, because they GET IT. Why are we learning this? Because we can apply it to words we don't know. Like I said - heaven. We're learning about gerunds next week. Do YOU know what a gerund is? It's on the fifth grade language test. If you don't - a gerund is a noun formed from a verb (in a nutshell). For example. I sing for my supper. Sing is a verb. My singing is really atrocious! Singing is a gerund. See how blogging stretches the intellect?

Bailee is back in the thick of dance. She begged to be allowed to take jazz classes this term, but the money just isn't there. Disappointing, but I really think she has enough on her plate for a fifth graders. Her GATE class is putting on Charlie and the Chocolate Factory this spring. Bailee has a part as an Oompa Loompa. Type casting. :) She is really excited, especially since she gets to wear a crazy purple wig. She is also working on her project for the annual Invention Convention. She wants to do a math game. Surprised?

Bailee and I are singing in church on the 31st. I'm pretty nervous. I never know how my throat is going to be at this time of year. There are so many BUGS going around. This week we're suffering through an outbreak of stomach flu at school. That is just plain miserable for everyone! Especially our poor custodians. My rule is "Don't even think about telling me you don't feel well. Just get out, and by all means make sure you hit the bucket!" So far, so good. My carpet remains unscathed.

Great news this week. One of the teachers I taught with at Jefferson Elementary has found out that she's pregnant. This news comes after near two years of trying. Needless to say, they are thrilled. It's so nice to see something work out for good people who deserve it!

The situation in Haiti has been much on my mind. I wish we could just swoop in and get everyone out of there so that we know they are safe. THEN we could go in a attempt the task of cleaning up the devastation. I can't imagine how terrible it is for all those people who are trapped in that nightmare. My prayers are with them.

No comments:

Post a Comment