Sunday, January 8, 2012

Time Passages

Mike's son and daughter-in-law, Nadine, and Mike.


Right now our lives are centered on the final days of our friend Mike's life.  His battle with cancer took a horrible turn a few weeks ago.  We went from his being pronounced cancer free at the Huntsman Center in Utah in late October to hospice in late December.  The word "cruel" comes to mind, but it doesn't express the depth of anger any of us feel.  You really do feel "sucker punched."


Over the ten years we've known him, Mike has become a member of our family.   He is so very much like my dad that he just seemed to "fit in" the moment he walked in the door.  We love him dearly, and saying goodbye has been beyond hard. I cannot imagine living life without him.  Just the thought sends tears streaming down my face.  

I cannot believe how fast this has progressed.  Mike was sitting in his lift chair only a week ago, watching BYU play football and celebrating his wedding anniversary.  By Monday, he was bedridden.  That's the day that we went to see him.  Holding his hand, I knew that he was saying goodbye.  I will never forget how he took Bailee's hand and spoke with her.  I don't think she realized that he was saying goodbye, or that in those few precious moments he was leaving with her his hopes for her life. 


He felt so badly that he had missed The Nutcracker.  I had hoped that the DVD would arrive in time for him to see it, but I doubt he will be able to.  He is spending most of his time sleeping.  The hospice workers are doing their best to keep him pain free.  He isn't really able to speak now.  The end is very close.


I am thankful for having Mike in our lives.  He is leaving behind so many precious memories.  He will live in our hearts until we are reunited with him.  I guess that is what makes heaven - heaven.  No more goodbyes.  So ... I won't say goodbye to Mike.  I won't.  If we get the chance for one last time together, I have promised myself that my last words to him will be - "I love you Mike, and I'll see you later."

No comments:

Post a Comment