Monday, July 27, 2009

Crazy Caribou


Our American Eskimo mix, Caribou, is crazy. As you have seen in past blogs, he tends to get into strange adventures involving fiber fill. He also has been know to steal zucchini from the deck and chow down on it. Well, I don't know how much he ingests - but he does seem to enjoy tearing "zucchini bats" to pieces.
His latest adventure involved one of our resident water snakes from Little Sand Creek, which runs behind our house. Most of the family is repulsed by the creatures, but I appreciate their help in keeping garden pests down - and Bailee finds them quite intriguing. Caribou, however, sees them as vile intruders on HIS territory. This young pup is really territorial, and also resents the presence of joggers and people fetching their mail from the box in front of our house (which is why this story - while funny - also fills me with a certain degree of trepidation).
Caribou discovered a water snake in the yard, and promptly gave chase, while doing what I believe is the canine equivalent of a cussing out. He and the snake cut a crazy path across the yard, but Caribou finally caught up. This is where I expected bloodshed and all manner of grossness that I would have to clean up (while listening to Diana and Mom scream).
Instead, Caribou promptly raised his leg and peed on the snake ... then watched the snake crawl under the fence into the front yard with a "so there" expression on his face. Like I said - Caribou is crazy!
And, in reference to our joggers and mail gatherers, consider this a warning. As for me - I don't know whether to put up a sign that says "Beware of Dog" or "Beware of Bladder."

No comments:

Post a Comment