Saturday, January 1, 2011

Realities


I don't like realities. I find them rather cold and harsh most of the time. People say "Face reality!" and I want to cry out "WHY?" Does reality kill dreams? Sometimes I think it does. If facing reality limits our ability or willingness to dream, then I find it destructive to the human soul. That said, now how do I deal with the cruel realities of my life and the dreams that give life to my soul?




At this stage of my life, my own dreams do not seem to matter as much as the dreams of my child. Today, one of Bailee's dance friends contacted us about going to Salt Lake to audition for Ballet West's summer intensive program. She's so excited. This is something she's wanted to do for some time. This is the first year that Bailee is old enough to qualify for attendance as well, and I know that she was hoping to share this experience with her "little dance buddy."




My heart swelled with joy and hope for Aleks, but it aches as I saw hope and excitement rise in Bailee's eyes, only to quickly die. She's a smart girl, and she knows how things are. Financial problems stemming from state cuts to education have made even participation in the summer intensive at Brindusa-Moore Ballet Academy down in Pocatello doubtful. Ballet West could cost 10x as much.




Bailee is a talented ballerina. Her teachers have all told us that she has great potential. She's young yet, and unsure as to whether or not she wants to dance professionally. However, she is happiest when she's dancing. Nothing else she does lights her up on the inside like dance. Her soul ignites, even when she is doing mundane weekly classes. She comes out of exhausting classes blazing like a star - happy, energized, and joyful. She is passionate about dance - and she always wants to dance. I don't want the cold facts of reality to steal away her dreams. Some how, some day, I hope that dreams will trump reality and we will find a way.




Helping Bailee follow her dreams is important to me. I'm dedicating 2011 to finding a way to help her to chase her dreams. She may or may not achieve them, but there is much to be said for having the chance, for taking the chance, and the journey along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment