Wednesday, November 4, 2009

The First Week of November




I am a Halloween Scrooge. I admit it freely and without shame. I hate Halloween. I mean, I REALLY hate it. I just can't stand the focus on gore and horror that has become the twisted soul of the modern version of Halloween. Ick. The evening door pounding gives me a headache (mostly due to the frenzy the dogs go into). The surly teenagers who show up with a pillowcase and an attitude make me want to reach for the nearest taser. I almost prefer those teens dressed up in no more than their greed to those who put on a display of garb that nearly sends you retching into your candy bowl. Extremely icky.


My fellow fifth grade teacher topped everything however, when she shared an experience that her son had at a local grocery on Halloween. It left me shaking my head and confirmed my dislike for the day. He was in search of more treats for the legions of ghouls who would come knocking on the door that evening when in walked a young man decked out as Jesus - complete with a crown of thorns and blood streaming down his face. He said that the whole store went dead silent. Inappropriate? Absolutely. Yep. I hate Halloween.


I did, however enjoy our friend Marsha's take on Halloween in her blog. If you're looking for a giggle about how our imaginations can take us for a ride - check out her Early Halloween entry at
http://www.beetleeyes.com/.


Bailee had a miserable week with her braces. It was so hard for her to eat that she lost three pounds. That's a lot of weight on a very tiny girl! It hurt to see her in so much pain. Thankfully, this week she is doing better and is eating once more.


I actually had a wonderful day at school today - due to the fact that my biggest pain in the butt was home sick. What a difference it made! You hate to admit to this, but his absence changed the entire climate of the room. Without his constant disruptions and distractions the other students did much better. Without his negative and bullying attitude we had a peaceful and happy day. How do you tactfully suggest home school to a parent?

No comments:

Post a Comment